Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sawyer's Americana Star Wars Room

A couple years ago after we moved in, I created a space just for Sawyer in his Star Wars bedroom.  As he has grown, his patriotism, passion for American history, and love for books, science, and legos has grown with him.  We've slowly made some small changes to his room to fit his personality.  I should add his favorite color is still red.  I do believe it will always be red.  Anyhow, I wanted to share some updated pictures with you....


The room started with this inspiration a couple years ago... The Pottery Barn Star Wars Bedding, ie the one and only splurge in the room.

As I said, it's merger into an Americana/Star Wars room.  I found this flag at the Country Living Fair in Ohio and it was the perfect touch for above the dresser between the beds. (BTW, he sleeps in the bed on the left, this the dream catcher and lights!)

Above each bed hangs some awesome Star Wars art that was a sweet gift from my buddy Janel of Nellie Bellie.  Emmy and I made these dream catchers a couple years ago.  Sawyer didn't want to make them with us and didn't want one at all at first.  Then he had a bad dream and asked if he could have mine.   Of course I gave it to him.

Above the guest bed hangs an image of C3P0.  My mom made the awesome Star Wars lego pillows for him.  No, she does not take orders unless you can physically produce her grandchild.

In between the beds, his low dresser (The entire set of two twin beds, and two maple dressers came from my grandparents originally) serves as a nightstand and houses books, his alarm clock, and special Sawyer treasures.


His alarm clock is none other than Darth Vader.

On the other side, a wooden rhino and red owl I thrifted, and a treasure box he made at a party.


The book rack you see was a flea market find and is an antique arts and crafts book rack.  I loved the images on the ends, perfect for a little historian....


Aren't those fun?
We've also created a small gallery wall designed just for Sawyer.  I purchased the moon article from a Sweet Clover vendor.  The presidents picture was a gift from my brother, the star wars vintage stamp from my parents, the vintage Star Wars poster he already had (it was my brothers), and the horse shoe I found at the Country Living Fair.  The mobile you see was a craft kit from my parents that Sawyer and I made together.


We also need TONS of storage for legos and books, and he has a couple of bookcases we use for that purpose.  The vinyls were purchased from Etsy two years ago and the shop has since closed.


This shot gives you an idea of where everything is placed in his room...


That dormer window nook is where his desk now sits.  I painted the desk, and found the red stool at the flea market.



Sawyer is a HUGE fan of Abe Lincoln, so when I came across this mini bust at a yard sale, I had to get it for his desk,


Because we have a regular window and a dormer window, I created industrial pipe curtain rods to it our needs and made the curtains by simply sewing panels.

Recently I pulled the tall dresser out of the closet, where it had been.  It was a tight fit in the closet, but we didn't need the closet space for much else.  With all of the legos, I've placed some legos and some other toys on a shelf in the closet and pulled the tall dresser out, which also gives us some surface area for.... more legos. 



 

I also try to place special photos and memories around the rooms of my children.  On his desk, Sawyer has a photo from the day he was born, and all of his trophies sit behind his desk.  On this dresser sits a photo from his first year playing t-ball, when I was his coach.  I know those memories are special for both of us!
 

Along the wall adjacent to the hall sits a hook rack that our elf, Lolly, made for Sawyer for Christmas in 2012 (Ok, so I made it!) out of a pallet board and old red knobs.


Also on that wall sits a small gallery of red framed train photos my brother took for Sawyer.
 And finally, on the foot of his bed, sit a couple of night time necessities.  These items remind me that although he is growing and his needs are changing, he will always be my little boy.  His pillow pet puppy, he lies on every night; and each night he has to be tucked in with this fuzzy chevron blanket.  (The blanket was a gift from one of my best friends.... but he loved it so much, and I am a sucker for his big blue eyes, so it's his!)


So as you can see, we have only made small changes, but I felt they were worthy of updating his room for you!  Have a great Thursday!
Photobucket
Sharing here:
Love of Family and Home
Tatertots and Jello
”thegoldensycamore.com”The Bold Abode

46 comments:

karenanita said...

This is genuinely one of the cutest things I've ever seen. And your chalk notes on the door are adorable! My husband has been trying to persuade me that we need a Star Wars room in the house (we already have SO much memorabilia!) - maybe we just need a baby boy to justify it haha xx

Julia Konya said...

Noa and I love Sawyer's room so much!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I know he is loving that room, that uniquely fits his personality, and things that he loves.

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Cassie there are so many creative touches I love about this room. That little red desk stool is so cute!! (And so is the boy who owns this room!)

Angela Santaniello said...

He has such a cute room and I love that you incorporated his passions. He has just about the same exact interests as my oldest. And that pillow pet sits on my younger sons bed every night, too. Love that he loves Abe Lincoln!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

The Painted Drawer said...

Sawyer's room is adorable. I love the Star Wars/Americana theme! A great space for a boy to dream.

Jennifer @ Dimples and Tangles said...

Well I think Star Wars and Americana go hand in hand...SW is definitely an American institution! :) Everything looks so nice and personal. I need to add in a few personal photos as I'm working on Caleb's room. We're knee deep in legos too! Bought the big Expedit last year mainly b/c of that!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a great room for a growing boy! Love the mix of themes and how they reflect Sawyer's evolving interests. The nook is such a special spot. Wishing Sawyer sweet dreams!

Gretchen said...

Gus has just bestowed his seal of approval on Sawyer's room: "he has an awesome room! Star Wars, presidents, and legos." I agree :)

Ann Marie @ Twice Lovely said...

Perfect in every way! So cozy, and appropriate for him!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

So cute! I love his name written in the star wars font! Nice touch. Sawyer sounds like a really awesome little person! xo K

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

Amazing job Cassie!!! I love it.

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Who would have thought Americana and Star Wars could merge so nicely?! You pulled off some major wizardry here!

Good Time Charlie said...

The force was definitely with you as you updated this room. I love all the fun details, the Abe Lincoln bust is great! Hard to pick a favorite, but I think I still love that red chair/stool the best.

Kelly said...

What a great room for a little boy to grow up in. I love the little touches that special people in his life have added to the room.

Ali Richardson said...

It's such a perfect room for your awesome little (big) guy! I love every bit! XOXO

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Patriotic StarWars! What a great boy's bedroom!

Bryanna Planas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor said...

So Sawyer just might have the coolest little boys room ever! If I were him I would never want to leave and if I were his friends I would ALWAYS want to come over! Love it all! Good job mom:)

Miss Charming said...

Such a great room, Cassie! I love all the homey details. It looks so inviting. (We have the same Darth Vader clock!)

Twice Nice said...

I love every single thing about Sawyer's room! What great finds in those book ends and red stool!

Jane Craske said...

My small one would lose it in with this room. Throw some Barbies in and she'll movie right in.

Mekenzie @ interiorsbykenz.com said...

My husband Aaron would have loved having this room when he was growing up. He loves all the same things. Heck, he would love it now if I would let us have a star wars/americana master bedroom lol. You're such a great mom Cassie. I hope I can be like you!

Katja @ Shift Ctrl ART said...

What a terrific room. I love how you mixed in all your fabulous vintage finds. That looks so good. Love the Darth too ;) Such a great room. Sawyer is so lucky!!

Fiona, LilyfieldLife said...

Cassie - it's such a great boys room. my son would love it also.
I love how you have styled it all and all the love and effort that's gone into it.
Fiona x

Rita Mireles said...

His room is adorable and so appropriate for his age. Heck I'd live in that room no problem. On that note...I have to go since I'm at work and finishing a report...just needed some "Cassie" time to help get through my day ;)

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno said...

Love the personality of his room...it's such a great space for a boy his age! :)

michelle@decorandthedog said...

The force was with you while decorating Sawyer's room. See what I did there?

Julie Workman said...

My boys LOVE Sawyer's room, and routinely ask when their rooms can be as awesome. Heck, I'd move in! I'm a geek of a SW fan myself.

It's always fun to see what they stick with and give up as they grow...my oldest (9) has recently decided to leave the blinds cracked open and got rid of the regular night light. But we had to repair his Vader Light Saber to replace that, and he now has a stash of AA batteries and a small phillips screwdriver in his desk, just in case! He's also more vocal about the colors in his room (black, red and wood) and where he wants things to be. Its most definitely a work in progress!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

This is probably the most perfect example of your love for your son! So many personal choices and a room decorated over time so everything means something! Great job mom!

17 Perth said...

I love when you said..."no she doesn't take orders unless you can produce her grandchild"! Lol. And love all the little updates!! Still love his desk and chair!

Allison said...

Sawyer must just love his room! Such a fun room Cassie! I love the personal touches...the photos, especially the one of you with Sawyer when he was a baby.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Such a great boys room and I love how he still wants the blanket and pillow...so cute.

Amber Wills said...

Very cool mix of 2 different themes. They do lend themselves well together because they have similar color pallets. I'd never thought of that before!

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

A boy after my own red loving heart! ;) Love his room so much and his desk nook area is my favorite!!

Sarah {Lacquer and Linen} said...

This is so awesome! My friend's son loves Star Wars, I'm gonna have to email her this! That navy starry wall is so cool too.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love this room so much. It's perfect for a young guy, but also feels both whimsical and grown-up. Just a perfect execution of a theme.

Kelly said...

Okay, I just have to say, you are literally the only person on the planet who can pull off an americana star wars room, and not just pull it off, but make it turn out SO sweet and whimiscal!

daniela said...

Ok I officially want this as my bedroom. Love it! Would love for you to link up at:

Link'n Blogs link party at Put A Bird On It
http://iputabirdonit.blogspot.com/2014/01/linkn-blogs-9-link-party.html

xo
Daniela

House Envy said...

great boy bedroom. I have two boys and they would love it! i love that little red stool you found!

Anna [DirectionsNotIncluded] said...

As a Star Wars fan myself, I wish I had an excuse for a room like this. I love it. I owe him a shirt. What size is he wearing now?

Catherine said...

So many things I love in the room Cassie! That flag is amazing!

anu said...

Sawyer has such a great room. So many fun details.

Vintage Prairie Style said...

I totally missed this post! What a great room for a boy. Love that he loves his country as well as space - history and the future. What a well rounded boy you have.

ryan james said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

brad maddox said...

All Latest Hot Current Affairs, All Entertainment News updates, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Entertainment Videos, Funny Pictures, Fail Pictures, Troll Comics, Troll Images, lol Pictures, Mp3 Tunes and every thing you want...
www.hotcurrentaffairs.com