Monday, February 17, 2014

Be Bold Challenge Reveal: Industrial Pipe Built Ins

Happy Monday!  I hope you all had a fabulous weekend and Valentine's Day!  We had to cancel our date night due to the weather and road conditions, but we have a perfect night filled with wine, Olympics, and Tosh.0 (which if you watch it, your opinion of me will lower- it's so wrong it's right.).  The kids Saturday basketball games were cancelled due to the conditions as well, so we took the opportunity to build our pipe shelves, which I had declared my "Be Bold Challenge" project.



This project went much more smoothly than I expected and I think that Chris and I are closer because of it..... during the actual building process we had NO arguments.  Of course, during the design and measurement... um.... maybe some minor miscommunications.  Miscommunications happen when you mix a very right brained (or hare brained) me with a very left brained Chris.  But we survived, designed them, and made a shopping list.

To design the shelves, we followed Roeshel's tips for making a DIY industrial pipe shelving unit.  Then we altered the plans to fit our own needs.  As a side note, we did not have as much wiggle room with the measurements as Roeshel did which is why we ended up having to exchange some pipes, details below.  It is important to note that the threading of each pipe adds an inch to each end and doesn't screw in all the way, adding height overall.  Just be aware of this if you plan to build.

Since I had known we were going to build them and had time last Wednesday I ventured out to get everything we needed.  Our list was as follows, with everything being in the 1/2" size.

four 13" pipes* (had to get these cut and threaded)
eighteen 12" pipes (This number changed which I will explain in the post later, but we ended up using 12)
six 10" pipes (This number also changed as some 12" were exchanged for 10", and we ended up using 12)
four 8" pipes
twelve  T pipe pieces
sixteen elbows
ten flanges (This was a challenge as well, explained later).
two pine boards measuring 15" x 60"
two pine boards measuring 15" x 58" (The left side of our fireplace is 2" shorter than the right)

The following I had on hand:
7/8" saw drill bit
General Finishes Java Gel Stain
Rags
Goo Gone Goo Gone Multi-purpose Cleaner -24 FL OZ
Razor
Brut Force

And you SHOULD also use:
rubber gloves for staining

* threaded pieces of pipe are actually called "nipples" and are labeled as such in stores.  You can imagine that Chris and I had lots of jokes as we built with variously sized nipples.

I set out to Home Depot to gather all of my pipes and boards.  (Insert a big WOMP WOMP right here.) I was able to get some of the pipes I needed, some of the elbows, all of the t's, 2 of the boards, and 1 flange.

Since the 13" pipes were a special cut, I had to find the gentleman who worked that department.  I finally had him tracked down and when I told him what I needed he didn't reply verbally, but silently shook his head at me making me feel about 2 feet small.  "OK," I said while awkwardly staring at him. Finally he spoke, "We can't cut anything that small; the machine won't do it."  Irritated at him for making me feel stupid,  I replied with "My friend just did something similar and had pipes cut only a few inches larger than what I am asking.  But, she did get them cut at Lowes, so perhaps they have better technology."  Yes, I went there.  But you know what, it produced my desired result and he said "Now, wait a minute.  I am not very creative, but let me think about this and maybe I can do it."  It took him time to cut and thread but in the end, I walked away with the four 13" pieces I needed.

After spending some time in the pipe department, I headed over the lumber department where I found the last two pieces of pine board big enough for me to use.  I had them cut to size, and the gentleman in this department was super friendly and helpful.  He also assured me that more lumber would be in the next day.  Since I already had to hit another Home Depot for more pipe pieces, I told him I might be back.

I paid for all of the pieces I found there and headed off to another Home Depot about 15 minutes southeast.  I was able to find some of the pipe I needed, but not all of it, the other two boards, and 0 flanges.  So I paid for what I found and headed off to Lowes.

At Lowes I found the rest of the pipes I needed but ZERO flanges in black, which is what I had been looking for.  I asked an associate but he had a very strong Jamaican accent and I couldn't understand what he was saying about why they didn't have them.  They did have galvanized steel, but it was significantly more expensive, so I decided to pass and try to order from home.

When I arrived home, I found this website which had exactly what I needed, and in black for a steal!  Well, I went to order and turns out they are ILLEGAL in the state of Maryland so they couldn't ship to me.  No wonder I couldn't find them!  I ended up ordering the galvanized steel, still saving myself wuite a bit of money (about $60) by ordering online.  At this point in time, it was Wednesday afternoon, we had an impending snow storm, and I risked not having them in time.  And, I might add, I am way too thrifty to pay for expedited shipping.  I crossed my fingers and hoped for a miracle.  And Friday around 6 pm, my flanges arrived, and I threw my arms around my UPS man and thanked him for his hard work!  (slight exaggeration).

Meanwhile on Friday while the kids and I were stuck home due to a snow day, I got to work staining my boards with General Finishes Java Gel.   This stain is super easy to use and durable, so no extra poly needed (Unless perhaps you plan to use it for a dining table).  I simply applied it with a rag.  Here you can see the difference between my stained and unstained board:


Isn't it so rich and gorgeous?  It has a really nice smell to it, too; not even kidding.  I love it!  I would highly recommend wearing gloves when you work with this stain and apply with a rag as I did.  Otherwise, your hands will look like this...


A good scrubbing with a sponge and a grease fighting dish soap, and your hands will be soft and good as new!

Saturday morning, I was ready to get to work, but had forgotten one minor detail.  All of the pipes had adhesive labels that were also taped on over them for assurance.

I set to work with a razor and goo gone, scraping and cleaning until all of the labels were gone.

Then we started by building from the bottom up.

Before we drilled any holes in the board, we built the two side pieces up to see how high they sat.  Here is where we had issues with the threading..... it added too much height to our unit and we would have hit the chair molding.  We solved this issue by replacing the middle pipes (which were going to be 12") with 10" pipes.
Here is Chris, using his brut force to assemble pipes before drilling. (To put the shelves in, of course, we had to take them apart again, but we did this to test heights again).  Do you see that face, my friends?  That is the face of a man humoring a woman he loves.

In the meantime we measured where to drill the holes on the top shelf.  I marked the center of my drill points with a chalk "X".  I then drilled the two holes using my 7/8" saw bit.  I then set this board on top of the other and lined them up.  I made marks through the hole of the top shelf with chalk to indicate where to drill on the bottom shelf.  I also measured a point equidistant from each mark as the bottom shelf required a center hole as well.  Once they were all drilled, we were able to assemble the first unit.  This project took both of us as we needed to hold/balance, etc, and it would have been much harder with one person.  Once it was put together, we anchored it to the wall.  The unit itself is sturdy and doesn't necessarily need to be anchored, but we wanted to make sure it stayed in place.  (Point being, it's ok if it's not in a stud).

I was so excited once I finally saw one put together!  We repeated the process on the other side, which was trickier as that is where all the cables and wires for our TV and cable box live.  We left a slight gap behind the shelves to allow for cords and cables.

We had them all built and I high fived Chris, impressed that we made it through!  They are far from perfect, but perfect is over rated.

Sunday the kids and I headed to Home Depot to gather up some plants so I could get them styled exactly as I wished.  I planned to use some of my milk glass, including a couple special pieces that belonged to my great grandmother.  Of course, I am not always great with plants, so I am referring to the shelves as "plant purgatory: where plants go to await their fate."

Anyhow, are you ready for the reveal.... (Oh, and I bought some cute cacti for the coffee table, too!  I placed them in a milk glass vessel with some stones my dad has collected over the years.

Ok, so onto the real reveal now. ;)  Because of the shape of our living room and our couch arrangement, they are hard to make out here, but they are under the windows...
Here is a semi-arial view to give you a better idea...

The left side holds some of my magazines, clay projects the kids have created at school, and milk glass filled with plants.


 Here you can see where the flange is screwed into the wall.

And the flanges on the floor imply give a wider support, but we did not screw them into the floor.   And in the end, I loved the look of galvanized flanges with the black pipe!


The right side hosts our cable box and blu ray plater, as well as more plants, and special pieces and books.

Angelique was getting rid of these amazing book ends, and I had planned to give them to an elephant loving friend, but they were so perfect here....

Two years ago when my bestie was visiting we painted these peonies.  I placed them here because they are special to me, and they hide wires.

And check out how gorgeous the wood turned out with the java gel stain!


I am so thrilled with how they turned out!  Thank you so much to Roeshel for all the help with her great post.

Additionally, you may have noticed one other addition to the room.  I shared my new cowhide rug with you a couple weeks ago, but I was lucky enough to win a $500 credit to Plush Rugs through my good blog friend Kelly at Eclectically Vintage!  I chose the jute rug you see above to layer under the hide.... love it!  The living room still has a couple of other projects in the wings of its mini makeover, but I am thrilled with how it's coming along!

Be sure to check out these other ladies and their "Be Bold" projects!  All will be shared this week!

The Wood Grain Cottage  

Now I am off to the barn.... lots of work to do!
Photobucket
Sharing here:
East Coast CreativeTatertots and Jello; The Shabby Nest; Inspire Me please; Vintage Revivals Rock What Ya Got
My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaThat DIY PartyElizabeth and Co.PhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridays

91 comments:

Laura @ Top This Top That said...

AAAAMAAZING outcome. the shelves came out so pretty...except for your stained hand. I need to show my hubby this post as I would love to do something like this in our den. have a great week!

Susan - Uniquely Yours or Mine said...

They came out so awesome! Weird that the black iron is illegal in MD?!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

I love how these turned out and that it brought you two closer in the process!! Win win!!

Julia Konya said...

You guys knocked this one out of the park. Love how they turned out and they are perfect for the space. Love your living room!

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

Wow, these turned out so stylish! Great job - so glad you went for it!

Angela Santaniello said...

Fantastic!!! Love how the shelves came out and how you styled them.

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Shelley | Crazy Wonderful said...

They look so cool! Love that you out them on both sides of the fireplace. I trashed a project once due to those stinking flanges - I too couldn't find black and they were EXPENSIVE.

anu said...

The shelves turned out so well. They're the perfect solution under those windows.

Katja @ Shift Ctrl ART said...

I think your shelves look fantastic. I often wonder if there is a special place ... for those people who invented label glue. There should be. Why do they need to be attached so well?

Your styling is perfect! I love all the white contrasted with the darker shelves :)

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

They look so great Cassie! I love the bit of industrial mixed into your living room. The flanges - what is it about them - I love them! Really cool and different - plus your marriage is still intact - bonus! :)

Dana Frieling said...

Woo hoo! You guys did such a great job. Boy, you sure were determined to make this one work with all those trips/orders. Why can't projects just be easy?! Love all your little plants too. Hope they live longer than you expect!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Those are really nice shelving units Cassie. You and hubby did a fabulous job.

Rachel said...

LOVE them! You did an awesome job, they look fantastic! I swear, with every post, I just get more and more jealous of your house and style. (gimme gimme)

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

They look like they have always been there they fit so perfectly!

Between Blue and Yellow said...

So cute! Your living room looks so cozy, and I love the addition of the plants, I have a lot of plants around the house and I love them!

Bliss said...

Excellent. All of it. High five.

pam {simple details} said...

Wow, awesome job you two!! They give your room the perfect mix of styles! I love the warm, rustic character!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Great shelves, and I understand the Tosh O - it is bad, but it is quite brilliant.

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

I Love it! Such a great use of space and so creative- beautiful too!

Meg@OliverandRust said...

they look great and i love all the commentary that went with this. i haven't tried the gf stain yet but it looks great and easier to use than the regular minwax. i am so curious about why you can't get the black flanges in the state of maryland. the only diff is the rust factor. curious

Keya Davis said...

Love it Cassie. I am dreaming of having something like this too, I think I'm gonna have to scout out a spot in this old house, these are just too good!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Love how these turned out, Cassie! I'm still hung up on how black flanges are illegal in Maryland, though ��. Who would have guessed??

Whats Ur Home Story said...

I absolutely love them. I so want them in my home but can't find a spot! You did a great job styling the shelves too Cassie.

Vidya @ Whats Ur Home Story
www.whatsurhomestory.com

Whats Ur Home Story said...

I absolutely love them. I so want them in my home but can't find a spot! You did a great job styling the shelves too Cassie.

Vidya @ Whats Ur Home Story
www.whatsurhomestory.com

AlliFerg said...

These look great! I've been toying with doing something like this in our office, but I keep going back and forth!

Gretchen said...

1. I LOVE your shelves! Great job!
2. black flanges are illegal?! wha? why? I don't understand...plumbing, apparently
3. I like how you keep your Daily Show and Star Wars books with your Norton Shakespeare :)

Lisa @ Trapped In North Jersey said...

I love how that looks! Especially how they are built around the window. Great job :-)

Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor said...

They look incredible Cassie!! You guys rock!!!

Ann said...

The shelves look great, Cassie! You need to explain the "illegal" thing though - very strange.
I AM familiar with Tosh.O - Very wrong and very FUNNY!!! Kindred Spirits, I think! ;)

Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home said...

Cassie - these came out so fantastic! I love that you called the guy at HD out. Sometimes it's so annoying shopping there as a woman. I was looking for nail gun nails one time and the guy there said, "What size did your husband tell you to get?"

Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno said...

You are my hero going ahead and building these! It's something that is so intimidating to me, but you guys knocked it outta the park! They look perfect in your home!! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love these more than I even want to admit. They are just plain gorgeous. I'm thinking I sort of want to recreate these above our lower kitchen cabinets int he barn. They are just amazing.

And the fact that you guys knocked them out so quickly amazes me.

Rachel said...

They look AMAZING! I'm frantically trying to find a window to do this with. :)

Your exchange with the Home Depot made me laugh out loud - I had a few very similar conversations this weekend at Lowes and wanted to pull my hair out.

Heidi @ Decor & More said...

AWESOME-NESS!! I love how they turned out and they're perfect for your space. Very "Cassie"! :)
xo Heidi

17 Perth said...

Holy amazingness. Seriously..way to go to both of you!!! I literally laughed out loud though when I read about the miscommunication. Boy oh boy can I relate to that! hahaha.
Y'all are more than welcome to come over whenever you want to do this project in my house. lol.

Seriously though, GREAT JOB!!!

Good Time Charlie said...

That is the best idea for built ins. I love it!! So out of the box, (not really, LOL) and so bold. I need to get moving on my be bold project. I hope it is warmer this week in your part of the country!!

Carmel - Our Fifth House said...

Pinned! LOVE these! Like really really LOVE!

Dear Emmeline said...

They look amazing!!

michelle@decorandthedog said...

They're so pretty! Good work team.

Although I'm totally judging you on Tosh.O. Nate and my friends tried to make me go see him live this Summer. I refused.

Roeshel said...

Cassie & hubby - they are AWESOME! Such a great idea to build a set on either side of the fireplace. Love it! You did a beautiful job styling them, Cassie. (We had issues here and there too! I couldn't find black iron flanges either so mine are spray-painted and those labels! I swear that was the most difficult part! lol) I'm glad my tips were helpful. A lot easier than it looks when all is said and done and we get to enjoy forever! Great job!!!

Roeshel said...

Cassie & hubby - they are AWESOME! Such a great idea to build a set on either side of the fireplace. Love it! You did a beautiful job styling them, Cassie. (We had issues here and there too! I couldn't find black iron flanges either so mine are spray-painted and those labels! I swear that was the most difficult part! lol) I'm glad my tips were helpful. A lot easier than it looks when all is said and done and we get to enjoy forever! Great job!!!

Gail Wilson said...

amazing and beautiful Cassie! I've looked at those pipes before, and walked away shaking my head at the price.
illegal? crazy!

pinned!

I hope you're enjoying the warm up this week like we are.
gail

Abby at Just a Girl and Her Blog said...

Cassie! These are awesome! I LOVE the industrial look! And they fit perfectly with the rest of the room! Beautiful, beautiful job!

~Abby =)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow, talk about team work! Your shelves are amazing and you styled them beautifully! You must be smiling ear-to-ear!

Twice Nice said...

Love these! Looking for a spot to build some of my own! I'd say gloves would be a good idea next time. LOL!

TheDeliratio said...

AMAZING!very good job!:)love it!

Jen Migonis said...

How neat!!!! I love that it houses all that fabulous milk glass too! :) Great job!

Kristin@bliss-athome.com said...

They turned out fab Cassie! After all the headaches they were worth it. I love the symmetry you created in this space. It is so ecclectic and fun and the shelving just adds to the design even more! Great job!!! xo Kristin

Piper said...

OH MY GOOOSSSHHH!!! Love!!

Erin said...

Cassie, they look fabulous! The whole room is looking soooo good. Rick and I are the same way with our right-brain/left-brain communication when it comes to projects...often it winds up that we were both saying the same thing, but neither of us understood the other. :P Oh and I am pinning this for your stain reference--I love the idea of not having to use poly. :)

April Hoff said...

I'm absolutely in love with this industrial shelving! What a great project, Cassie! So glad I found you through this challenge!

Allison said...

Your shelving looks fantastic Cassie! So fun that you and Chris worked together on this. Hope you're staying warm back there!!

Tasha A. said...

OMG! What a fabulous idea! I love industrial pipe shelves, but to think to use them as built ins is totally genius! Loving your BOLD project--so happy to be part of this challenge with you! I look forward to following you on social media!

- Tasha @ Designer Trapped in a Lawyer's Body {www.designertrapped.com}

Brynne Delerson said...

They are amazing! Absolutely perfect with your new black fireplace!

I hear you on the unhelpful plumbing department... I ran into that myself building my plumbing pipe light fixture! Everyone's like: Didn't you know they'll just cut & thread all that pipe for you for free? And I'm like: if they are feeling particularly helpful, perhaps. Apparently they weren't the day I went in! I LOVE that you "went there" with the Lowes threat ;) You rock!

Brynne Delerson said...

Oh - also, that stain is GORGEOUS! So silky!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Although I have "liked" these in every place that you have posted them, I apologize as I have not celebrated them properly....at all. They are AMAZING!!! I am sooooooooo jealous and so happy that you made them with relatively few issues. You are HIRED when I get to my forever home - I absolutely LOVE the look! Love everything!!!! xo Love you!

deborah@confessions of a craigslist junkie said...

Wow, those shelves look amazing Cassie! Great job!

Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I am in love this those shelves!

And I have the same milk glass bowl that you have on the coffee table! It was my grandmothers!

Chaney @ May Richer Fuller Be said...

LOVE! Y'all are amazing (and creative) builders! Way to go - they look fabulous.

Mrs. Limestone said...

You did a great job - all of your hard work paid off.

My brother made a great piece for his kitchen using pipes but after working with him on it, it ruined any desire to make my own piece for my house. Something about cleaning all those pieces sapped my inspiration!

Minnie Burger said...

Wow these look so great!

reFresh reStyle said...

They look great! Come build me some!
Debbie

Ali Richardson said...

Hooooooray!! They are incredible! Great job Bustamante peeps! You rock! And roll :) XOXO

Tiffany said...

You know why you have so many comments on this post? Because it's frickin awesome! I'm so impressed. Seriously love this.

Krista thehappyhousie said...

I really love these Cassie. Since seeing them in Roeshel's pantry I have been scheming about making some too... so glad to have your tutorial as well now. Going to go pin it right now- a fabulous bold project!!

House Envy said...

ok, somehow you have made this look easy! the shelves look amazing!

Cathy Wall said...

Love how these turned out Cassie, a great addition to your room and a fun way to get close to your hubby! What could be better than a husband/wife DIY project?!

sarah m. dorsey said...

amazing cassie!! Looks so good - perfect for that small space under the window!

Haley said...

These look great and fit your space perfectly!

Katie Nathey said...

Wow, you definitely had to work for these industrial shelves, huh? It was definitely worth all the hassle though because they turned out absolutely beautiful! I love the idea of DIY industrial shelves and have been considering putting some in my office but am not sure if I'm ready to spend the money on them yet.... Yours look amazing though! Pinned and I would love it if you linked up to The Makers link party going on at my blog right now, http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/02/the-makers-link-party-5/

Hope to see you there!
-Katie @ Upcycled Treasures

Jenna LaFevor said...

WOW! I love the look of these!! You guys did an amazing job!

Jenna LaFevor said...

WOW! I love the look of these!! You guys did an amazing job!

Amber Wills said...

Beautiful!! And no divorce! Wonderful! The styling is killer too! Way to go Cassie (and Chris)!!

WoodsofBellTrees said...

The shelves turned out so nicely and that living area is beautiful! My hubs humors me too. hehe

Allison @ The Golden Sycamore said...

I LOVE your shelves, Cassie! They are so cool! You guys did such a great job!

Anna [DirectionsNotIncluded] said...

Wow. I know I posted that I loved them when you put them on Instagram but holy wow. These look stunning in the space. I also love Chris' humoring you face. I get that look all the time.

Chelsea @ Making Home Base said...

Wow Cassie! Your shelves look amazing! I love the industrial look and the style is perfection!

Emily Morgenstern said...

You are a rockstar!! This looks so amazing!!

Gwen said...

Freaking amazeballs! You totally rocked this out and I'm crazy impressed!

Brandi said...

Your shelves look amazing. My husband and I thought about trying to build something similar we had seen on Pinterest, but after adding in all the cost of the supplies we decided to nix it. After seeing how great your shelves turned out I'd like to revisit it sometime soon. Thanks for sharing! I love the way you styled them too!!

Cindy DIYbeautify said...

I love these and I had to laugh a little as you described working together with your Chris. My Chris and I are very right brain/left brain too... so we have to work through a lot of miscommunication to get the job done. Way to persevere.. These turned out beautiful!! Did I miss it where you mentioned the cost?

therelishedroost said...

Fabulous I love the look and your design of the shelving was so clever as well!
Best,
Karolyn- The Relished Roost

Danielle said...

Cassie, I LOVE these! They are super duper fantastic! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

Kris @ Driven by D├ęcor said...

Wow - your built-ins are amazing!! And they fit in so well with the feel and style of the rest of your room. The pic of your husband helping you is classic - I see that look all too often :) Thanks so much for linking up to Best of the Nest!

Leslie said...

These are great!!! Eye catching, unique and FUN!! Thanks for sharing.

angietrue said...

All the hard work paid off. They look great, more space for all those great finds.

Mekenzie @ interiorsbykenz.com said...

What amazing shelves! I love the way they turned out. I'm dying to have some kind of pipe shelves somewhere in our house. You've inspired me!

Miss Charming said...

Awesome DIY, Cassie! Your living room looks fantastic. So well styled, too!

Alexis Middleton said...

This is sooooooo cool. I just love it. And I really loved the story about the guy at Home Depot too. So funny!

Tracy Laverty said...

Cassie- I love this bookshelf under your window. Great tutorial too. I live in the Frederick MD area- I need to come visit your shop!

Jani said...

Beautiful! I love the industrial with the milk glass--what a great look! Good luck in CWTS!!!